The Week Ahead
Monday, March 9
- The House will meet at 2:00 p.m. for legislative business. Recorded votes will be at 6:30 p.m. on noncontroversial measures under suspension of the rules.
- Key votes this week include possible consideration of legislation related to FISA reauthorization, as well as possible consideration of Sen. Kaine’s S.J.Res. 68, a joint resolution to direct the removal of United States Armed Forces from hostilities against the Islamic Republic of Iran that have not been authorized by Congress. The House will also consider two immigration measures related to President Trump’s travel ban and ongoing crisis at the border.
- Chairman Yarmuth will continue to receive updates throughout the week regarding Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) from Congressional Leadership in Washington, as well as from state and local leaders in Kentucky.
Tuesday, March 10
- Members of the Democratic Caucus will meet to discuss legislative strategy.
- 10:00 AM: The House Budget Committee will hold a hearing to discuss the Department of Defense’s FY 2021 Budget, with testimony from David L. Norquist, Deputy Secretary of Defense.
- The House will meet at 12:00 p.m. for legislative business and is expected to begin consideration of Rep. Chu’s Amendment to the Senate Amendment to H.R. 2486—the NO BAN Act—legislation that would impose limitations on the President's authority to suspend or restrict people from entering the United States based on their religion.
- Chairman Yarmuth will meet with local representatives of the American Legion Auxiliary, the American College of Obstetricians, and the Council on Foundations and Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers.
- Additional visitors to the office include representatives of the Kentucky School Nutrition Association, the Kentucky Psychological Association, the U.N. Foundation, Kentucky Professional Firefighters, the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, the Arthritis Foundation, America’s Essential Hospitals, and the American Renal Associates.
Wednesday, March 11
- On Wednesday, the House will meet at 12:00 p.m. for legislative business and is expected to consider Rep. Jayapal’s Amendment to the Senate Amendment to H.R. 2486—the Access to Counsel Act of 2020—legislation to ensure that individuals detained while entering the United States are guaranteed access to legal counsel.
- 10:00 AM: The House Budget Committee will hold a hearing entitled, “Protecting Congress’ Power of the Purse and the Rule of Law.”
- Chairman Yarmuth will meet with representatives of the Kentucky PTA and AMVETS.
- Additional visitors to the office include representatives of the Society of Health and Physical Educators, the Christian County Chamber of Commerce, the Apartment Association of Kentucky, the National Association of Chain Drug Stores, the Kentucky Association of Career Colleges and Schools, the National Association of Specialty Pharmacies, the American Pizza Community, and the Kentucky Heritage Council.
Thursday, March 12
- The House will meet at 9:00 a.m. for legislative business and is expected to complete consideration of all legislation for the week.
- Additional visitors to the office include representatives of CommonSpirit, the American Society of Civil Engineers, and the Digestive Health Physicians Association.
- 9:00 PM: The #15 Louisville Cardinals Men’s Basketball team will take on the winner of the Virginia Tech/UNC vs. Syracuse game in the Quarterfinals of the ACC Tournament. Go Cards!
Friday, March 13
- No votes are expected in the House.